main campus (grand junction)
the tlc is located in houston hall 113. hours are listed below.
online tutoring is available through tlc/writing center app on mav zone november 20 - december 6.
in person tutoring not available november 20 through january 3.
front desk: 970.248.1392
distance tutoring: 970.248.1392
for the upper division course tutoring, please call 970.248.1392 for additional information
students are advised to see their instructors before contacting the tlc for help in their upper-division (300-, 400-, and graduate-level) courses.
western colorado community college
at this time, please access us online
about the tlc
peer tutors support your learning. we welcome your questions and are happy to help you!
the tlc provides free tutoring on a variety of subjects and is available for all colorado mesa university students.
as you prepare to work with your tutors online, please do:
- start the assignment (try it on your own first);
- have questions ready to ask the tutors;
- have your assignments, notes, and/or textbooks handy;
- be ready to tell the tutor what you would like help with;
- bring a positive attitude and willingness to try!
your online tutors will be able to:
- review concepts, types of problems, and rules;
- help you understand and follow assignment guidelines;
- offer study tips and encouragement;
- assist you in using your textbooks, syllabi, and class materials.
to be fair to all cmu students and to adhere to the student code of conduct, tutors will not be able to:
- do your homework for you;
- teach you content if you missed your class;
- help you with tests and quizzes, including take-home tests/quizzes, test corrections, test extra credit, and/or pre- and post-tests;
what are the benefits of receiving tutoring?
- developing or enhancing your existing skills;
- developing effective study habits;
- increasing your self-confidence;
- increasing your understanding of the subject matter;
- developing a positive attitude toward learning.
we offer a free service to all cmu students.
when you access tutoring online, you may be able connect to a tutor immediately but, especially during peak hours or near mid-terms and finals, there might be a wait. in these cases, we ask for your patience.
please remember that because all of our tutors are students, they might not always know every answer immediately. using your textbook and notes for a reference is normal. and if a tutor can't find the answer, they might refer you to your professor for more guidance.
the tutorial learning center is always looking for stellar students to be peer tutors. if you like helping other students succeed in their classes, you are welcome to apply to be a tutor.
paid training is provided for all students who work as tutors.
peer tutors must be current cmu students who have received an "a" or "b" in a course that they would like to tutor. they must also have at least a 2.70 gpa and faculty recommendations.
applications to become a peer tutor are available at the tutorial learning center or the link below.
please complete and email or print out and deliver to tlc.
you need faculty recommendations for each content area you would like to tutor. faculty should intercampus mail the tlc their recommendations or send them from their colorado mesa email.
there are many helpful websites on the internet to assist students with a variety of issues that may come up while working on an academic project. these sites are available twenty-four hours a day and seven days a week. we encourage you to visit any of the following:
collections of information, videos & Study Skills
the owl at purdue (links for citation to the right)
apa--6th edition (links to pdf with answers to common questions)
asa lite (pdf with citation style guidelines and a model essay)
computer skills (including useful quick reference sheets!)
foreign language learning
zip code zoo (biology)science.org